Happy Apocalypse Day!
Tip Ins is a weekly update for all the news that happened in the NHL.
- Imagine this: Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin, Steven Stamkos, Alex Ovechkin, and Claude Giroux are ALL unrestricted free agents(UFA)… at the same time. You pooping your pants yet? Because if the NHLPA disclaims OR decertifies, the NHL’s lawsuit says that’s what’s going to happen. Every player in the NHL will become a UFA. Imagine how dumb Minnesota Wild owner, Craig Leipold would look. He already paid Zach Parise and Ryan Suter $10 million each in bonus money. Yikes! And you thought Free Agent Frenzy was crazy now… (Sporting News)
- Hey Flyers fans, remember Mike Richards and Jeff Carter? How would feel about having them back on the team? More specifically, if they retire before their contracts expire, how would you feel about having their cap hits back? With the NHL’s offer, that could actually happen. (Broad Street Hockey)
- An anonymous owner gave ESPN their idea for a CBA offer. The details of it give you the impression of… compromise? Yes, and in some small circles, it’s been seen as a good negotiating point. No harm taking a closer look at it. (ESPN)
- How would feel about the NHL only playing 48 games, but having a completely revamped playoff format where 24 teams make the playoffs? Sounds crazy, but it makes some sense. Especially from a revenue-generating standpoint. And we all know how much the NHL loves revenue. #lockout (USA Today)
- Give the Binghamton Senators marketing department ALL the awards! If you haven’t noticed, you’re not dead. So for their December 22nd game against the Rochester Americans, they’re going to host a “I Survived Doomsday” celebration. Free water will also be handed out. Oh, and Santa Claus will be there taking pictures. It’s free water and Santa, what more could you ask for? (Binghamton Senators)
- Nevermind, take back those awards and give them to the marketing department for the ECHL’s Las Vegas Wranglers. These creative scallywags are hosting a Winter Classic, INDOORS! The event is to take place on January 1st when the Ontario Reign visit. “The game will feature many arena doors being left open in hope of creating unpredictable breeze patterns. We are hoping for quite a draft.” Get this, the trophy for the winning team, yes, a trophy, will be a chain and padlock. There’s going to be fake snow and the “sound of whistling winds” throughout the game. Again, ALL the awards! (Las Vegas Wranglers)
- Larry Brooks, as only Larry Brooks can, breaks down the NHL’s lawsuit against the NHLPA. Oh. Boy. Good times. (New York Post)
- Joffrey Lupul must be experiencing Lockoutception. He(and new-Maple Leaf James van Riemsdyk) claimed they couldn’t get reservations at a local restaurant. Why? Because the restaurant is owned by the Toronto Maple Leafs. Lupul tweeted,”Real Sports is not allowed to take reservations from Leafs players during the lockout.” van Riemsdyk backed him up saying,”Same thing happened to me a month ago.” The restaurant is denying the accusations. How ridiculous is this lockout? (Puck Daddy)
- Speaking of J Lups, he currently writes a blog. In one of his latest entries, he talks about being in Russia. He writes,”Russian women are absolutely gorgeous. They’re all tall, thin and, unfortunately, don’t speak a word of English. You know that feeling you get in America when you see a beautiful woman with an unattractive man? Multiply it by 10, and that’s what you see on every street corner here.” Poor Joffrey. (Ask Men)
- What’s Sidney Crosby doing with all this free time? Playing dek hockey and posting shutouts. Yep. (Pittsburgh Post Gazette)
- We’re keeping today’s Tip Ins light, so Puck Daddy is going to supply you with infinite lolz. Jersey Fouls, ladies and gentleman. My favorite is easily the “Guchi Mane” Devin Setoguchi jersey. (Puck Daddy)